goconstructivism

ABOUT: The purpose of this site is to act as a repository and sounding board for discussions around the theme of Constructivism in Education

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

STUDENT'S VIEWS ON WHAT MAKES A GOOD TEACHER




Good teachers have been studied ever since Plato described how Socrates taught by asking questions of his audience. Recent findings shed light on two characteristics of good teachers: their personality and their ability. However, more attention has been paid to teachers' practices and opinions than to students' views.
I decided to ask a range of students that I teach what they value in their teachers, which traits they found effective and which aspects of lesson delivery they felt least connected to.


WHAT MAKES A GOOD TEACHER


1. DEEP KNOWLEDGE OF SUBJECT MATTER

"Someone who knows a lot about what they are teaching. They feel free to experiment and communicate with me and don't have to be restricted to a regimented lesson plan"
Theo, Year 8

" A good teacher is deeply involved with their subject. They are confident and can command a class easily with their speech. Basically they really know what they're talking about."
Grace, Year 9

2. INSTRUCTIONAL PLANNING

"I like teachers who are fair and make things clear to their class. Also I like it when they
can control the class they're teaching."
Ella, Year 8

3. KNOWLEDGE OF ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION

"I like teachers who tell you all the ground rules before they start and then stick to them.
I hate it when a teacher invents a new rubric mid-way through the lesson!"
Megan, Year 11

4. UNDERSTANDING STUDENTS AND HOW THEY LEARN

"I value a teacher who is able to engender respect and see a myriad points of view.
I don't like teachers who yell or see themselves as way removed and above the students.
They must be able to relate to the students, have a good attitude and remain on task"
Juliette Year 12

5. MOTIVATING STUDENTS TO LEARN

" I like teachers who are kind and tell jokes. They're make learning fun which makes you want to learn"
Scott Year 8

6. CREATING SAFE, PRODUCTIVE AND WELL-MANAGED CLASSROOMS

"What makes a good teacher......The ability to inspire respect and orderly behavior"
Andy, Year 8

" A good teacher is a nice person who is in control and does not lose their temper."
Tai, Year 8

7. TECHNOLOGICAL LITERACY

"My teacher is pretty cool because he's up to date."
Joe, Year 11

8. UNDERSTANDING AND APPRECIATING DIVERSITY

"........someone that listens to you......."
Joseph, Year 8

" Sometimes I need have tasks broken down into easy to understand bits. I have a problem with the way I process information. My teachers are really good about it and always prepare a special sheet for me with other instructions."
Year 10 student

9. PROMOTING STRONG HOME-SCHOOL COMMUNITY RELATIONS

" I really like the way our school is like a community and everyone can get involved"
Kia, Year 11

10. COMMITMENT TO LIFELONG LEARNING AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

" ......some of the teachers at our school go to uni to extend their knowledge. I think that's admirable and I'm really inspired to keep developing myself. "
Rui Rui, Year 11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home